Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sprouts

Woke up this morning to 6 degrees and this red amaryllis that my sister gave me after Christmas!   What a happy contrast to the frozen white world outside!   Amaryllis-Jan 2014 004
I bring my lunch to work most days—it’s an economic choice but mostly there are not a lot of good places to get lunch nearby.

I eat at my desk, so my lunch usually consists of a tuna salad, roast turkey or chicken sandwich with lettuce, mayo and a piece of fruit for a mid-afternoon snack. 

Lately,  I’ve been getting bored with this limited variety but today, I dug-out a seed sprouter I bought a while ago.   I have several types of seeds to try so I think this will give me some of the variety I’ve been looking for with the bonus of watching something grow.Seeds & sprounter_Jan 2013 002
If you want to try sprouting, You don’t need a seed sprouter like mine.  You can use a wide mouth mason jar or spaghetti sauce jar with a piece of cheese cloth tied to the top, the most important thing is to rinse and drain the seeds twice a day with fresh water.   Seeds & sprounter_Jan 2013 003You can buy sprout seeds in the grocery store. 
Sometimes in the health  food  or the produce section.   There’s lots of varieties and combos of seeds; some are spicy like radish seeds, some are good for stir fry dishes.  Seeds usually take 3 to 7 days to sprout.    

Fresh sprouts are a nice way to add some nutritious greens to your meals in the middle of winter.  

One of my favorite ways to eat sprouts was borrowed from the "Big Easy Deli" menu in Manchester, NH.   Toast a wheat bagel, spread it with low-fat veggie cream cheese, top it with a slice of tomato and a slice of cheddar cheese and broil it till the cheese melts and top with alfalfa and broccoli sprouts.

I hope you stay warm and have something growing and blooming inside today!

Gail

1 comment:

  1. I've got an Amaryllis on our kitchen table shooting up and defying our frigid temps outside; yours is glorious! Good luck with your sprouts... yum! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. When you do, you make my day!