Thursday, November 11, 2010

VETERAN'S DAY 2010


"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them." John Fitzgerald Kennedy

When I was searching for a way to commemorate Veteran's Day on my blog, I came across this quote by John F. Kennedy. I had been thinking that I wanted to write something about bravery in combat and heroism but instead I started thinking about gratitude. Veteran's day, after all, is about honoring those who've served our country. Being grateful for their sacrifices seems a fitting way to honor our veterans.

What am I grateful for? I am grateful for the freedom to worship and practice whatever faith that I choose. I am grateful that I sleep peacefully at night without fear of being taken from my home forcefully and without explanation. I am grateful that no foreign armies camp within our borders. I am grateful that I can express my opinion in public and on my blog without fear of reprisal. I am grateful that I can go out in public without having to cover my head and face. I am grateful that women and young girls have equal rights and protection under the law and are not oppressed and exploited as they are in other parts of the world.

To all the veterans who's service to our country has secured and protected these reasons I have to be grateful, I say, "Thank you".







.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. When you do, you make my day!